EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

12-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

M4 DTM Edition: 10 units coming to Australia

Even more exclusive than the "regular" M4 GTS and IMO better looking, it is priced the same as the GTS in Australia, so it would be a no brainer for me if I were in the market for a GTS. Any of you owners were offered this car and was it at the same price as your GTS? I would remove the Motorsports decals though ;-)

Article From motormag: https://www.motormag.com.au/news/161...-for-australia

2017 BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition confirmed for Australia
By Louis CordonyDec 15, 2016News

BMW’s M4 GTS is returning to Oz, but this time dressed in a new livery.
The firm secured 10 new M4 DTM Champion Editions for Australia, reviving the GTS’s performance package within a new special edition.

Priced at $295,000 (same price as the regular GTS and $154,000 for the M4 CP) and available for order now, the new car was built to celebrate the firm’s 2016 DTM championship win with Marco Wittmann at the helm.

Only 200 will be built in total. But each will pack the water injected engine, stripped interior, and track-spec suspension and aero used by the GTS.

Australia claims a five per cent share of the total build, a figure more aligned with local M sales compared to our uptake of the GTS – of which we received only 3.6 per cent of the total 700.

Deliveries begin late first quarter next year, however, we hope you like Alpine White. It’s the only hue available to match the car’s red, blue, and purple M stripes that streak its sides and roof.

Beneath the paint, however, and besides its smaller front splitter, the Champion Edition copies the GTS’s hardware also verbatim. Its 3.0-litre straight-six is fed by two turbos and a water injection system, sending 368kW and 600Nm to a seven-speed DCT. It’ll be matched to a titanium exhaust system.There are also three-way dampers with remote reservoirs installed at each corner, as well as M carbon ceramic brakes.

Meanwhile it wears the GTS’s staggered diameter ‘666M’ wheels, albeit finished in matte grey, and Michelin Sport Cup 2 rubber. Inside carbon-fibre shelled bucket seats again feature, as well as an alcantara steering wheel, and a half roll-cage. For the Champion Edition, however, the cage is a standard feature and comes finished in white.

All exterior additions are made from carbon fibre reinforced plastic, like its new front bumper flics, as are its bonnet and roof. So it’s just as quick as the GTS, as it’ll clip 100km/h in 3.8sec and go on to hit 305km/h with its automatic transmission. However no manual transmission is available. Included in its large pricetag are adaptive LEDs headlights, while ‘Selective Beam’ OLED taillights feature up back.

This isn’t the first special edition BMW’s made for Marco Wittmann, its two-time DTM champion. “To be honest, it’s great in my case, it has happened now a second time so it’s something special,” he told MOTOR while in Sydney. But he sees the obvious differences in the tribute. “Yeh the 2014 [car] was more about the design, was leaned more towards my DTM car.”
“The current champion edition is probably more leaned towards a M4 GTS, of course with some different wheels, different livery… it’s a bit different, but yeh it’s great with the roll cage.”

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-Champion-Edition-2 (1).jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  308.1 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-Champion-Edition-3 (1).jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  297.2 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-2.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-4.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-Champion-Edition-1 (1).jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  293.4 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-3.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  240.0 KB

Name:  BMW-M4-DTM-Champion-Edition-4.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  367.2 KB

Name:  P90240343-highRes.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  338.3 KB
      12-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Love the seats. The stickers...not so much.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
fatih.aloglu
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M5

First Australian Spec car Individual Data

This car on production band;

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Maybe another way to make more GTS's
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Even more exclusive than the "regular" M4 GTS and IMO better looking, it is priced the same as the GTS in Australia, so it would be a no brainer for me if I were in the market for a GTS.
It's a nice thought, but with the premiums charged for the reportedly 800 or so M4 GTS's, what are the chances of finding a DTM at sticker?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
It's a nice thought, but with the premiums charged for the reportedly 800 or so M4 GTS's, what are the chances of finding a DTM at sticker?
Dealers in most countries have to charge "sticker" or less.

Dont know why US dealers can charge more.
      12-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Dealers in most countries have to charge "sticker" or less.

Dont know why US dealers can charge more.
Lucky us. Thanks for the 411.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
$295K.....ridiculous for an M4.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #9
GraveSmiles
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Not the aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Even more exclusive than the "regular" M4 GTS and IMO better looking, it is priced the same as the GTS in Australia, so it would be a no brainer for me if I were in the market for a GTS. Any of you owners were offered this car and was it at the same price as your GTS? I would remove the Motorsports decals though ;-)

Article From motormag: https://www.motormag.com.au/news/161...-for-australia

2017 BMW M4 DTM Champion Edition confirmed for Australia
By Louis CordonyDec 15, 2016News

BMW’s M4 GTS is returning to Oz, but this time dressed in a new livery.
The firm secured 10 new M4 DTM Champion Editions for Australia, reviving the GTS’s performance package within a new special edition.

Priced at $295,000 (same price as the regular GTS and $154,000 for the M4 CP) and available for order now, the new car was built to celebrate the firm’s 2016 DTM championship win with Marco Wittmann at the helm.

Only 200 will be built in total. But each will pack the water injected engine, stripped interior, and track-spec suspension and aero used by the GTS.

Australia claims a five per cent share of the total build, a figure more aligned with local M sales compared to our uptake of the GTS – of which we received only 3.6 per cent of the total 700.

Deliveries begin late first quarter next year, however, we hope you like Alpine White. It’s the only hue available to match the car’s red, blue, and purple M stripes that streak its sides and roof.

Beneath the paint, however, and besides its smaller front splitter, the Champion Edition copies the GTS’s hardware also verbatim. Its 3.0-litre straight-six is fed by two turbos and a water injection system, sending 368kW and 600Nm to a seven-speed DCT. It’ll be matched to a titanium exhaust system.There are also three-way dampers with remote reservoirs installed at each corner, as well as M carbon ceramic brakes.

Meanwhile it wears the GTS’s staggered diameter ‘666M’ wheels, albeit finished in matte grey, and Michelin Sport Cup 2 rubber. Inside carbon-fibre shelled bucket seats again feature, as well as an alcantara steering wheel, and a half roll-cage. For the Champion Edition, however, the cage is a standard feature and comes finished in white.

All exterior additions are made from carbon fibre reinforced plastic, like its new front bumper flics, as are its bonnet and roof. So it’s just as quick as the GTS, as it’ll clip 100km/h in 3.8sec and go on to hit 305km/h with its automatic transmission. However no manual transmission is available. Included in its large pricetag are adaptive LEDs headlights, while ‘Selective Beam’ OLED taillights feature up back.

This isn’t the first special edition BMW’s made for Marco Wittmann, its two-time DTM champion. “To be honest, it’s great in my case, it has happened now a second time so it’s something special,” he told MOTOR while in Sydney. But he sees the obvious differences in the tribute. “Yeh the 2014 [car] was more about the design, was leaned more towards my DTM car.”
“The current champion edition is probably more leaned towards a M4 GTS, of course with some different wheels, different livery… it’s a bit different, but yeh it’s great with the roll cage.”

Attachment 1542086

Attachment 1542087

Attachment 1542088

Attachment 1542089

Attachment 1542090

Attachment 1542091

Attachment 1542092

Attachment 1542093
Journo/author obviously has never seen a GTS. Very clearly it's not the same aero. (Been confirmed by dealer) stock M4 front splitter and fixed rear wing. No adjustment. So you get the rough ride of the GTS without the aero. hmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #10
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Seems GTS is the car to have then. As the aero setting is of Big difference in the GTS. In street aero mode GTS only give 2kg front and 4kg rear downforce @200km/h. But at Max it give a great great Big aero effekt.
My guess is this DTM version can only give ap. same level downforce as GTS in street mode aero.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 12-30-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Seems GTS is the car to have then. As the aero setting is of Big difference in tja GTS. In street aero mode GTS only give 2kg front and 4kg rear downforce @200km/h. But at Max it give a great great Big aero effekt.
My guess is this DTM version can only give ap. same level downforce as GTS in street mode aero.
So for those lucky DTM edition owners that wish to get that 0.5%~2.7% additional grip at 100km/h-200km/h respectively just need to retrofit the GTS aero to their cars .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Yes, thats about it, its there on GTS for a reason no matter what you excel work tell you about %.

Then we got fast tracks like SPA and Nur and its plenty of 200++ bends.

GTS give only 2kg front and 4 kg rear downforce at 200km/h in street aero setting. I only speculate, but if thats what DTM edition car give I would for sure get GTS parts for better aero. Still we dont know DTM aero effect, could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
So for those lucky DTM edition owners that wish to get that 0.5%~2.7% additional grip at 100km/h-200km/h respectively just need to retrofit the GTS aero to their cars .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Maybe another way to make more GTS's
They would have to go through federalization again to bring to the states as a 2017 model. Very doubtful they would go through that trouble again. It was likely a money loser for them (in the US), but a strong Halo statement of things to come. I would not be surprised to see them milk the hell out of the development costs with more special editions in Europe and Asia.

Really hard to tell exactly what the DTM edition is. Is it trim only? Does it get the suspension and aero? Does it get the water injection?

Also, what is this M4 GT4 model that is starting to gain some buzz? Homologated based on the GTS or something new?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Yes, thats about it, its there on GTS for a reason no matter what you excel work tell you about %.

Then we got fast tracks like SPA and Nur and its plenty of 200++ bends.

GTS give only 2kg front and 4 kg rear downforce at 200km/h in street aero setting. I only speculate, but if thats what DTM edition car give I would for sure get GTS parts for better aero. Still we dont know DTM aero effect, could be better.
Oh, don't you worry, I don't need Excel to do simple math like that

It's just when someone makes a bold subjective statement on the forum that does not make sense to me such as "the aero setting is of Big difference in the GTS" (and keep insisting on it), I like to offer an objective counterpoint based on some science for other readers to ponder. As I stated before, the aero on the GTS does contribute to the overall performance (particularly at higher speeds), but it's important to keep it in perspective. I don't think prospective buyers of this DTM edition need to be too concerned about it having "poor aero".

You bring up a good point though, tracks in Europe usually have higher cornering speeds compared to the tighter tracks usually found in the US (an interesting dichotomy though, since there is more available realestate this side of the Atlantic, but that's another discussion). But even at Spa, the vast majority of corners are still well below 200km/h. I don't see "plenty of 200++ bends".

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-31-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #15
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Well its not the first time you and I see things different. But let me tell my experience, that is from SPA i find my selfe past 200 in 5 place where the track is turning. (See My lap in video)

Still a few of them place its only slightly. Still remember this was My first time ever on SPA and in a brand new car I hardly driven before. Hence next time I will carry even higher speed on these 5 spots where the track is turning what ever so slightly on a few place.

Please understand that If I drove My GTS in street aero mode where it give no downforce at al I might not even come to these speeds I have here the first time ever.

There is a thing called confidence, wich GTS provide very much when Max aero on. No so much if street aero on.(no downforce) You can argu untill you grow old, I know you will. But still if you could think of this, consider if you try out for your selfe? Both settings like I done, you might feel somthings your math calculations could not provide.

As Well the faster we go on track, even the slightly small radius bend could be scary. Like long straight on Nurburgring, its not a straight in 300, but a scary bend on the end of Max speed. In 200 its hardly a bend. All people need aero to grow bigger balls tru these bends.

Down to SPA eau rouge, to me thats a 200+ lefthander, my first time here! Next time it could be 200++

But overall the end of track, back end is 200++ even this first time, next it Will go much faster for me there. And, hell no, I would never go tru here in street mode aero on a GTS wich give only 2kg front and 4kg rear downforce @200km/h. No One would, belive me. Not at 200++ anyway. Your simple math% you can throw out of the Window past here. Its worth nothing in the way you try to give example in % to try to make a point its small difference. Well friend you grow bigger balls and drive past here and on nur in no aero mode on GTS, I dare you😂. You would dare not much if you have no aero to help on these tracks My friend

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 12-31-2016 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wonder what percentage of the cars worldwide will ever see track use.
Here I have only ever seen the demo GTS on track, every other GTS Ive seen ( and its quite a few) have just been cruising the usual streets or shopping malls.

Should be the same thing with most of the the 15 DTM coming here.
      12-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
GraveSmiles
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Same as GTS expect front and rear spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
They would have to go through federalization again to bring to the states as a 2017 model. Very doubtful they would go through that trouble again. It was likely a money loser for them (in the US), but a strong Halo statement of things to come. I would not be surprised to see them milk the hell out of the development costs with more special editions in Europe and Asia.

Really hard to tell exactly what the DTM edition is. Is it trim only? Does it get the suspension and aero? Does it get the water injection?

Also, what is this M4 GT4 model that is starting to gain some buzz? Homologated based on the GTS or something new?
They have same water injection engine (Same power), same manually adjustable suspension, same roll cage (as the M4GTS track pack). Everything there same except they have a M-Performance front splitter (same as you can option on any M4) and a fixed rear wing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #18
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

From what I read, the DTM is very similar to the GTS, including the adjustable coilover suspension, cage and water injected 500hp S55. It has the standard M-performance front splitter and rear wing instead of the more sophisticated GTS aero. It also has CF canards, CF mirror caps and CF side sills that the GTS does not have.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1315189

Quote:
The M4 GT4 is an actual race car (not street legal) and is not based on the GTS as far as I know. It will likely also not use the water injected S55.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1288461
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1333184

Note that the second set of pics in that second thread are artist renders that have nothing to do with the actual M4 GT4.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-31-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0