Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
frankli8432
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Question BMW M4 Charge Pipes and J Pipe

Right now I have the BMS Elite Charge Pipes on my M4 and although I was told that it fits just like the OEM ones, there is no way for me to put on the engine cover on. It seems like the charge pipes are too thick or the shop installed them wrong. Anyone else experiencing this problem with BMS Charge Pipes?

I'm thinking about getting a set of BP Charge Pipes soon but since I just installed a new intercooler I don't want to take it out again just to install the J pipe. I just don't know if factory J pipe could handle a much higher power.

BTW if anyone has a good price on the BP Charge Pipes please PM me, thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You don't remove the intercooler to R&R the J-pipe. You just remove the charge pipes, and lift the intercooler out of the grommet mounts. Once the charge pipes are off, it's like 5 minutes more work.
      09-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankli8432 View Post
I just installed a new intercooler I don't want to take it out again just to install the J pipe. I just don't know if factory J pipe could handle a much higher power.
The factory J is pretty sturdy. No need to replace it unless you need the meth bung in that spot. Even the factory "plastic clip" sees little tension since the TMIC coupler and the intake hold the J squeezed in place.

Nice Pikachu! I bet it's a fast Pokémon.
      09-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
frankli8432
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
You don't remove the intercooler to R&R the J-pipe. You just remove the charge pipes, and lift the intercooler out of the grommet mounts. Once the charge pipes are off, it's like 5 minutes more work.
Gotcha. Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
frankli8432
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
I just installed a new intercooler I don't want to take it out again just to install the J pipe. I just don't know if factory J pipe could handle a much higher power.
The factory J is pretty sturdy. No need to replace it unless you need the meth bung in that spot. Even the factory "plastic clip" sees little tension since the TMIC coupler and the intake hold the J squeezed in place.

Nice Pikachu! I bet it's a fast Pokémon.
Got it. Haha everyone loves pikachu 🤣
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Right now I have the BMS Elite Charge Pipes on my M4 and although I was told that it fits just like the OEM ones, there is no way for me to put on the engine cover on. It seems like the charge pipes are too thick or the shop installed them wrong. Anyone else experiencing this problem with BMS Charge Pipes?

I'm thinking about getting a set of BP Charge Pipes soon but since I just installed a new intercooler I don't want to take it out again just to install the J pipe. I just don't know if factory J pipe could handle a much higher power.

Most all Charge Pipes that have a continuous/symmetrical interior diameter will fit the same.

The rear most nipple/mounting grommet is a screw and can be raised.

My solution: Simply unscrew it to where the engine cover can snap onto it, mark the position
on the thread with a fine sharpie and apply "Loctite" to the remaining thread below that mark.

[Edit:] "Loctite" wasn't so "tite. It loosened up on its' own and disappeared!

Or, "ESS" sells an extended nipple/grommet for $70.00.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 12-07-2020 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
frankli8432
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Quote:

Most all Charge Pipes that have a continuous/symmetrical interior diameter will fit the same.

The rear most nipple/mounting grommet is a screw and can be raised.

My solution: Simply unscrew it to where the engine cover can snap onto it, mark the position
on the thread with a fine sharpie and apply "Loctite" to the remaining thread below that mark.

Or, "ESS" sells an extension nipple/grommet for $70.00.

Cheers!

Alright I'm gonna try that later today. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Alright I'm gonna try that later today. Thanks for the info!
Good luck

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0