BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #1
Autostocks
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Required Maintenance

Took my 2018 X5 diesel into the dealership today for scheduled maintenance. The "service vehicle" indicator was on, and it seemed about the correct time for an oil change. The vehicle has 87,000 miles.

The dealer recommended some services I'd never heard of, including "Fuel Service and Deposit Control (Cleans, Lubricates and Protects Fuel System)", "Internal Engine Cleaning Service (Removes Sludge and Varnish)", and "Premium Engine Treatment (Reduces Friction and Wear)." I'm not a diesel newbie, having owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a MB 3.0L CRD that I finally sold with about 150,000 miles on it, a VW Touareg with 3.0L diesel, a GMC Canyon with the 2.8L diesel, and now a Jeep Gladiator with the VM Motori 3.0L EcoDiesel. None of these vehicles ever had any of these services, and none gave me problems except the GMC, which was a piece of junk and I only kept it for about 70,000 miles.

When I inquired about whether these were factory recommended services or dealer recommended services, the answer was not clear. Then, when I tried to research in the owner's manual, I couldn't find ANY service intervals - it just basically says to have the car serviced when the indicator comes on and do what the dealer says.

I passed on these things for now, because the vehicle is running flawlessly. But can anyone shed any light on whether these things are actually necessary? Again, sounded very scammy to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

My diesel X5 (UK 40d) has 90K miles and has always been dealer serviced. I don't recognise any of the terms in your post. Oil service is just that: an oil and filter change. It has also included various air filters (cabin micro filters) but cannot recall if that has been every service. I'd press the point if I were you and get a clear answer on these 'extras'.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I'm sitting at 110k. I began doing my own services at 84k and I have never heard of any of those as well. Not to mention that every BMW dealership I have been through in 4 states already offers little other than basic services for the 35d 😐😑😐

That all sounds like some "additive" they tell you not to add to your tank 🫤

Unless, they are actually (also) unplugging your diesel lines and running additive directly to the injectors. Who knows, but it's messed up they can't explain clearly a service to their customer 😑
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 09:09 PM   #4
srybicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 98 M3

Oil changes
Trans fluid 60k
Rear diff
Front diff
Transfer case
All at 60