Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i floor vibration?

01-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #23
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Can definitely say my 2022 M340 doesn't have this issue. I'm on pilot sport all season 4s, maybe it's the tires? If not I would recommend taking it in, had the problem of a dealer not noticing issues on my 2019 330i for a rattling muffler. They stated they couldn't hear it but I got a video loud and clear and they ended up replacing it. If it comes down to it maybe try that
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      01-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #24
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

BMW Tech Bulletin for vibration in 35i / 40i petrol (gas) engined F30s - see below.

I just sold an F31 335d that had this problem between 1400-1800 rpm with the engine under load, bang on motorway cruising speed in top gear so a real pain. It was there from day one and I took it the dealers on 4 different occasions to try and have it resolved without success. The final visit was part of the end of warranty check and the issue was referred to BMW and their response was this was entirely normal for this type of engine. I disagreed as it was the third BMW I had with a similar engine. In the end due to this and a couple of other issues (one dealer created ) I gave up and bought an M340d. Problem solved.

Anyway as part of my research I came across is a similar problem to yours that was finally accepted by BMW for the F30s with the 35i/40i petrol engine. It related to significant vibration in the car at certain speeds. It was caused by the low pressure AC hose that runs from the AC compressor through the bulkhead into the cabin resonating into the heating and AC system causing noise and vibration in the cabin that could be felt through the steering wheel. The solution?....... a BMW part that is basically a specific weight that has to be precisely placed on the hose to stop the resonation from occuring.

Another possibility is the air intake pipe vibrating causing it and / other anciliaries to rattle against the bodywork or other components. This has been an issue for may F30/F31 owners. My car included.

Your issue may / may not be related but perhaps worth a look. See these links:

Technical Service Bulletin – SIB 64 01 14
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=949816

Air Pipe Rattle
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1067269

Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      01-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #25
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Other thoughts of what it could be (all of these are issues my 330i had, it really had it's fair share of gremlins):

Front speaker cover rattle: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625196

Sunroof rattle/getting stuck:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1647264

Trunk rattle: I noticed that at certain speed on rougher roads I would hear a light rattle noise coming from somewhere in the back, found out it was the trunk seal (on the edge closest to the back glass). I brought it to the dealer and they re-adjusted the trunk slightly however it didn't help. Found out that waxing that edge on the bottom of the trunk made it go away until it got dirty again around a month later so decided to live with it until I got rid of the car. Thankfully my M340 doesn't have this or any of the other issues.

Best of luck, rattles really are the worst to diagnose. Never again will I buy the first year of a new model.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      01-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #26
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
BMW Tech Bulletin for vibration in 35i / 40i petrol (gas) engined F30s - see below.

I just sold an F31 335d that had this problem between 1400-1800 rpm with the engine under load, bang on motorway cruising speed in top gear so a real pain. It was there from day one and I took it the dealers on 4 different occasions to try and have it resolved without success. The final visit was part of the end of warranty check and the issue was referred to BMW and their response was this was entirely normal for this type of engine. I disagreed as it was the third BMW I had with a similar engine. In the end due to this and a couple of other issues (one dealer created ) I gave up and bought an M340d. Problem solved.

Anyway as part of my research I came across is a similar problem to yours that was finally accepted by BMW for the F30s with the 35i/40i petrol engine. It related to significant vibration in the car at certain speeds. It was caused by the low pressure AC hose that runs from the AC compressor through the bulkhead into the cabin resonating into the heating and AC system causing noise and vibration in the cabin that could be felt through the steering wheel. The solution?....... a BMW part that is basically a specific weight that has to be precisely placed on the hose to stop the resonation from occuring.

Another possibility is the air intake pipe vibrating causing it and / other anciliaries to rattle against the bodywork or other components. This has been an issue for may F30/F31 owners. My car included.

Technical Service Bulletin – SIB 64 01 14
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=949816

Air Pipe Rattle
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1067269

Very helpful post thanks so much.

I have a feeling this vibration I feel may be related to the muffler/exhaust etc. I hypothesize the grunt of the exhaust etc is somehow feeding through the frame of the car and I can feel it in the floor of the vehicle at certain rpm's. I say this because the vibration seems to coincide with that sweet portion of the exhaust notes and also is somewhat more pronounced in sport mode where the flap opens and is noisier.

I will have the service Department look closely at all the rubber isolation mounts. As a starter.

Despite this I'm really enjoying the car.
E__F6.00
      01-06-2022, 02:50 AM   #27
AK_SA
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

I have a feeling this vibration I feel may be related to the muffler/exhaust etc. I hypothesize the grunt of the exhaust etc is somehow feeding through the frame of the car and I can feel it in the floor of the vehicle at certain rpm's. I say this because the vibration seems to coincide with that sweet portion of the exhaust notes and also is somewhat more pronounced in sport mode where the flap opens and is noisier.

I will have the service Department look closely at all the rubber isolation mounts. As a starter.

I tend to agree with this hypothesis, because i've tested my issue at different revs and only comes up at a specific speed/rev combo. Think you might have nailed it. Can't be the wheels, have swopped out for a new pair and have the same issue. Only other culprit is a warped prop shaft which was the case on my X3 M40i (front prop). Let me know if/how you solve this please
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:29 AM   #28
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_SA View Post
Quote:

I tend to agree with this hypothesis, because i've tested my issue at different revs and only comes up at a specific speed/rev combo. Think you might have nailed it. Can't be the wheels, have swopped out for a new pair and have the same issue. Only other culprit is a warped prop shaft which was the case on my X3 M40i (front prop). Let me know if/how you solve this please
I think an improperly balanced prop shaft could also cause this type of vibration. I know they are balanced at factory.
      01-06-2022, 05:38 AM   #29
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

I suggest you try accelerating gently up an long incline from a standstill so that the revs pass through the range where the vibration is most evident in each gear, using paddle shifts to keep going through the appropriate rev range. This will ensure that there is as much load as possible on the engine and the resonance will be at its most noticeable.

If its there in all the gears, faint in the lower gears but more noticable in the higher gears where the most torque is required it won't be the
driveshaft as that does not turn at the same speed in each gear.

My understanding of the AC issue, from widespread searches, is that the heater / AC core inside the cabin resonates causing vibration in the steering and possibly the chassis itself.

Other causes noted have been air cleaner boxes vibrating badly, the black electrical box that sits high up just to the right of the engine when looking under the bonnet shaking, and any of the above vibrating against the pipework or bodywork.

I too was suspicious of the exhaust but wasn't able to isolate the source despite a lot of checking. Being a diesel I thought the engine vibration might be a little stronger than the petrol version but my previous BMW 6 pot diesels and indeed my new one never had this issue. At one point the dealership brought in a similar car for me to try to see if it confirmed the BMW view that is was "normal". It too had the vibration but it was very faint, not nearly as noticeable as mine. However, it was enough for them to make the case that they weren't going to spend any more time trying to find it even though their technician who I took for a drive agreed it was very annoying!

I enjoy driving too much to be annoyed every time I went out in it so my beloved, nicely spec'd, tuned and very rapid F31 had to go. Fortunately, prices for top quality used cars in the UK have skyrocketed and I ended up with a deal on an very low, basically just broken in, M340d that I simply could not refuse! Catching the dealer in the last couple of days before quarter/year end meant I could play hardball and was astounded by the deal I got. Had I known I could get a deal anything like that I would have relieved my pain earlier.

Good luck finding the vibration because I know just how frustrating it can be!
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      02-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #30
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

All I have an update.

I went to the BMW dealership. I test drove my vehicle with the service rep, who actually owns a 2020 m340i himself as daily driver.

I explained how to reproduce the vibration, then he drove it for 4 miles with me. I could feel the vibrations on the passenger side somewhat while he drove. I know he was hitting the right 2000-2500rpm frequently, where the vibration is most prominent.

He told me he does not really feel what I describe and that everything seems to ride just normal. I am 100% confident this was his honest assessment.

Then I asked them to drive another m340i with me from their lot. It was a 2022 just like mine. I drove it and the same exact vibration occurs.

So I don't know what to conclude here. Clearly the vibration is not just my vehicle. I am clueless as to why the other three m340i that I test drove in December did not exhibit this. I can assure you all that at least one of them was a 2022 and I drove it for 3 miles and tried to reproduce it but couldn't.

Bottom line, I think it's something that occurs on some more than others, and perhaps most people don't even notice it (as was the case with the service rep).
I ran an informal poll on Facebook m340i owners page and it came back as 60 people saying no vibrations and 4 saying yes some vibration.
      08-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #31
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

I put the original OEM tires back on. Same vibration on dead pedal etc.
I bought new Michelin pilot sport all season 4S. Put them on. Balanced etc. Same problem persists.

This is really annoying the hell out of me. I think im gonna sell the car at this point after just 8 months. I’ve owned many cars, all of them less than half the price of This one, and they were all smooth as glass to drive. This is ridiculous honestly for any car in 2022 let alone a $70k BMW. Im tired of dealership BS saying all is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #32
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
All I have an update.

I went to the BMW dealership. I test drove my vehicle with the service rep, who actually owns a 2020 m340i himself as daily driver.

I explained how to reproduce the vibration, then he drove it for 4 miles with me. I could feel the vibrations on the passenger side somewhat while he drove. I know he was hitting the right 2000-2500rpm frequently, where the vibration is most prominent.

He told me he does not really feel what I describe and that everything seems to ride just normal. I am 100% confident this was his honest assessment.

Then I asked them to drive another m340i with me from their lot. It was a 2022 just like mine. I drove it and the same exact vibration occurs.

So I don't know what to conclude here. Clearly the vibration is not just my vehicle. I am clueless as to why the other three m340i that I test drove in December did not exhibit this. I can assure you all that at least one of them was a 2022 and I drove it for 3 miles and tried to reproduce it but couldn't.

Bottom line, I think it's something that occurs on some more than others, and perhaps most people don't even notice it (as was the case with the service rep).
I ran an informal poll on Facebook m340i owners page and it came back as 60 people saying no vibrations and 4 saying yes some vibration.
Is it temperature and humidity dependent? For example is the effect stronger during winter months? Does it occur when traction is on or off or both (trying to see if transfer case, driveshaft etc. plays a role here).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #33
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTriesG20 View Post
Quote:
All I have an update.

Is it temperature and humidity dependent? For example is the effect stronger during winter months? Does it occur when traction is on or off or both (trying to see if transfer case, driveshaft etc. plays a role here).
It happens all the time with no dependence on those variables.
      02-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #34
Stallturn
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Reviving this thread:
I have a recently bought a M340i Touring - 2020 model with 10k miles. I too have a tingling vibration through the accelerator pedal - only when the car under load, ie driving (no noise, just relatively high frequency vibration).
I have read all the previous posts in this thread. The a/c hose seem to be a favourite potential cause, followed by the exhaust.
I wonder what has worked with this issue for anyone with the B58 engine?
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      02-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #35
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Multiple visits to dealer and mine is unresolved and very noticeable. They did check the hose for clearance and said it was fine.

I'm convinced my issue is with the exhaust passing on vibrations to the cabin/floor.

I also suspected of the ASD vibrating my subwoofer but I disabled ASD and no change.
      02-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #36
Stallturn
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

If you're convinced that the vibration is ultimately coming from the exhaust, have you had it up on a ramp to check for anything loose?
I think (perhaps hope) that my problem is also the exhaust, and it goes into a workshop in a few days to test the theory.

I think the best way to describe my buzzy vibration is that its like resting your foot on an electric shaver - switched on, of course!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #37
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Had it up and checked for twice. Everything is snug.
My vibration is on the footrest mainly and it's not just a slight buzz. I'd say it's more than that for sure.
      02-18-2023, 08:38 PM   #38
Younge
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Had the same issue on my m140i due to a downpipe being out by the smallest amount.

I can’t comment on the m340i and recommend it’s worth checking.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      03-08-2024, 06:39 PM   #39
x3Kol
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3

My x3 m40i has this same vibration.

Interesting theory on exhaust, mine seems to be worse when putting it into sport plus.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      03-09-2024, 07:50 AM   #40
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3Kol View Post
My x3 m40i has this same vibration.

Interesting theory on exhaust, mine seems to be worse when putting it into sport plus.
Please keep me posted if you get it resolved. I have not found a solution. Or source of issue even.
x3Kol4.50
      04-14-2024, 07:15 AM   #41
martin_m340
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring xDrive

For quite a while, I have been regularly experiencing vibrations on the steering wheel as well as on the floor (one can feel it when placing the foot on the footrest). Sometimes they appear at higher speeds like 130 km/h and sometimes one can feel them at just 70 km/h. Additionally, they are not 100% repeatable meaning that even on the same stretch of the road, sometimes they appear, sometimes they do not and also their intensity can be different. What is important, I have not noticed them to appear during acceleration or braking but rather during constant speed driving. Even after switching the car into the Eco Pro mode and once the engine turns off, those vibrations do not disappear.

At first, I rebalanced all four tires, however, nothing has changed. In the meantime, I also swapped all wheels (rim + tire) to my summer set, which worked perfectly last season and the problem persists. Therefore, I do not think tires or rims could be the root cause.

I am not sure if that is in any way connected, however, I tend to believe that the first occurrence of vibrations took place after I took the car for a long-distance drive in freezing rain and left the car outside at freezing temperatures. As a consequence, the entire front grill got frozen. The next day, when I started the car and took it for a drive (it was still very cold), after 30-40 minutes a sudden and weird sound of a flapping plastic could be heard from the front wheelhouse shell on the passenger side. I stopped immediately and found nothing. After resuming my trip, the noise could never be heard again. However, some time later, I started noticing vibrations on the steering wheel and then also on the floor. Perhaps it is not connected at all, however, I do not recall anything else that could have resulted in such a problem. I am the only user of the car, never hit a large pot hole and therefore a suspension issue does not seem realistic to me. Also, when I took the car to the dealership to rebalance tires they looked at it and found nothing.

Considering that the issue sometimes appears and sometimes not and the intensity also can change, I am suspecting the active grill shutters. They are not broken, they open correctly when it is warm enough. Although the bottom ones feel a bit looser than the upper ones. What is interesting is that when it rains or when I take the vehicle to the car wash (but perhaps it is all about temperature), the mentioned problem appears later and seems a bit less intensive compared to another driving session on the same day when the car and/or road gets dry. Therefore, on one hand, the active grill shutters feel logical to be blamed as they open/close depending on the needs (and therefore would explain why the issue is not easily reproducible). On the other hand, I am not sure if such a small element could generate vibrations strong enough to be felt on the steering wheel and floor. Additionally, when scanning the car via diagnostics interface, no warnings or errors are reported.

I also tried to check the temperature of brake discs assuming that perhaps some friction causes these vibrations. I took the car for a longer drive with constant speed and then pulled over, stopping completely by using the engine braking only. None of them got warm. I also tried to check the temperature after normal driving, however, none of them felt warmer than others, neither in general nor in some single spot.

To make it worse and more convoluted, let me add that it feels like these vibrations are easier to feel when driving in the Sport Individual mode (which is configured with all options set to comfort) compared to the Comfort mode. Due to that configuration, the only real difference between the two shall be the mild hybrid system that is turned off (and does not shut the engine off) in any sport mode.

One thing that I have not thought about and which was mentioned in historical posts was the exhaust. I checked that and in the Sport Individual mode, when everything is set to Comfort, the closable exhaust valve stays closed. So, there is no difference between Sport Individual and Comfort, however, I seem to feel it as mentioned above. I also played with the Iconic Sounds option which, when disabled, should never open the valve. With Iconic Sounds turned off, I felt like the vibrations were there, but less noticeable (in Sport Individual). Therefore, a loose exhaust could perhaps be the one to blame and I will for sure ask for it to be inspected.

The affected vehicle is BMW M340i Touring xDrive LCI manufactured in late 2022 (MY23). The car is equipped with adaptive suspension. I am planning to visit the dealership again and ask them to perform full diagnostics, however, based on my previous experience I would like to better understand what the root cause might be to influence what they will do. Otherwise, I am afraid that they will play the “it is meant to be that way” card, replace half of components blindly trying to solve the issue or keep it for a long time. I would appreciate your hints as it drives me nuts and takes away all the pleasure from driving.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      04-14-2024, 01:37 PM   #42
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Interesting report. Seems different than my issue because mine appears more prominently on acceleration. I do also have a different issue (I think unrelated) when coasting even in the smoothest roads where I feel business under my footrest. Like a very light clacking of the suspension. I've tested many m340i and none has this issue. The vibration under load I did experience on one other m340i but not any of the other 4. Same for regular 330i. Smooth. Very unsettling.